Historic 14+ acre Equestrian Estate in Gloucester Virginia
Date Added: 7/16/2016
Posted By: Robert Hale
4955 Farmers Drive
[ MAP ]
Email Address: email@example.com
Web Link: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6668-Havers-Hall-Rd-Gloucester-VA-23061/2139284379_zpid/?view=public
Beautiful 14+ acre equestrian estate. Located in Gloucester VA at 6668 Havers Hall Road, in area of exclusive homes. Great for family retreat, horse training facility, bed & breakfast or just to enjoy life! Havers Hall was built in 1830 by the Stubbs family. The Stubbs were among first in the New World: circa 1650. Family members served in the Revolutionary War. They also built nearby historic Cappahosic House and later Valley Front estate. The old Cappahosic Road, a main thoroughfare in Colonial times, ran adjacent to Havers Hall. The Cappahosic ferry was used by George Washington to cross the York River.
Serene views from ALL windows, plus large front and back porches from which to watch your horses in the adjacent pastures. The back porch is screened with a built-in brick barbecue.
Main house is 2642 square feet. Four bedrooms, large kitchen, mudroom, den, living and dining rooms. Many built-in cabinets. Three woodstoves. Dual zone heat pumps. Two horse stables, 2 training rings & covered exercise area. Private pond on property with great fishing, plus deeded access to Wood Duck Lake (a 2 minute walk).
Plus 946 sq ft cottage, originally built circa 1790. Use as in-law suite or rent (currently rented @ $800/month), or to horse trainer. Cottage has kitchen, full bath downstairs and 1/2 bath upstairs, laundry room with washer & dryer and fireplace. Two car+ garage with covered porch with pasture view and workshop.
10 minutes to quaint Gloucester Courthouse, Walter Reed Riverside Hospital, restaurants, shopping (including Southern States, Tractor Supply) & other conveniences. Excellent local vet services.
15 minutes to Yorktown, 30 minutes to Colonial Williamsburg, Newport News. Convenient to military bases.
Historic sites nearby include Rosewell Plantation mansion ruins, and Werowocomoco (the site where John Smith was taken to meet Powhatan in 1607 and reputedly saved by Pocahontas).
The antique photo of Havers Hall is from late 1800s showing former owner (Thomas J. Clopton) and family. The Cloptons bought the property after the Civil War. He served in the 5th Virginia Cavalry of the Confederate States of America. His father Dr. Thomas C. Clopton commanded Company D of the Virginia 24th Cavalry. He and numerous members of the Stubbs family were recognized as Honored Gloucester Residents.
Bricks from the second chimney were used in the 1930s to restore Dr. Walter Reed's birthplace, one mile away. Dr. Reed is known as the "Conqueror of Yellow Fever".
Contact owner Rob Hale, 757 566 0698; firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or to arrange a visit.
Click Image to View Larger